Skip to main content

Login or Join

Sign In or Join

Review Detail

5.0 1 0.5
St. Louis Gateway Arch & the Mississippi Riverfront
(Updated: October 25, 2021)
Rating

I don't know how many times I've been to the St. Louis Arch. As a native St. Louisian, I've visited the Arch many times going all the way back to childhood school excursions. And, whenever a visitor comes to town, its a must-see on our local sightseeing days.

The Arch is a rather unique architectural monument. You ride up the legs of the arch via a container somewhat akin to being inside an egg. You sit in this vehicle with about 3 other people (or more if they are small kids). As you ride up the curved leg of the Arch, this vehicle continues to automatically shift to keep the container vertical. At the top of the Arch are viewing windows which allow you to see east over Illinois toward Cahokia or west over the St. Louis metro area.

At the base of the arch, is a theater where you can watch a film documenting the construction of the Arch. Plus, there is a museum with displays relating to the "westward expansion" of the nation. After all, that is what the monument is dedicated to.

Besides the Arch, you are at the Mississippi Riverfront and can watch the Mississippi and river traffic roll by. Down on the riverfront are an assortment of excursion boats and the occasional festival. There is also parking available there.

To the north of the Arch is Eads Bridge. And, just to the north of that is the old, brick covered streets of the Laclede's Landing entertainment area. Note that by parking in the covered garage on the north side of the Arch, you can also easily visit Laclede's Landing as well. There is also a Metro Link train stop at Eads Bridge.

On the south side of the Arch is the Old Cathedral of St. Louis. And, due west of the Arch is the Old Court House of the Civil War era Dred Scott court case. If you plan to visit all of the places I've mentioned, you can easily spend the better part of a morning or afternoon in the area.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0