Login or Join

Sign In or Join

Review Detail

4.5 1 0.5
Parks, Beaches, Nature Preserves
Shonan Beach + Enoshima = Nice Day at the Beach
(Updated: October 25, 2021)
Rating

When I used to live in Tokyo, I once considered moving to the Shonan Beach area. I was serious enough to start looking at various accommodations here. I liked the area simply because of its proximity to Tokyo and Yokohama and yet you feel somewhat distant from the cares of the city.

That said, Shonan Beach isn't a great beach from the beach-goer's perspective. The dark volcanic sand mixed up by the waves makes the otherwise "blue" ocean water look quite murky. But it is the closest major beach to Tokyo where one can swim and so it attracts families and the surfer crowd in the warmer months. You'll even see hardcore surfers don wetsuits in the cooler times of the year.

Shonan Beach is located on Sagami Bay. On one side of you is the Miura Penisula and on the other side one sees the Izu Peninsula (another favorite place of mine) stretching out in the distance. On a clear day, it is even possible to see Mount Fuji off in the distance from this area.

Shonan Beach is cluttered with touristy shops, beach bars, kiosks, and restaurants. Then there is the very touristy but interesting Enoshima Island just offshore. The island was previously connected with a causeway which has now been replaced by a bridge. You can have a fun day without even getting wet by visiting Shonan Beach, Enoshima, and nearby historic Kamakura.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0