Login or Join

Sign In or Join

Review Detail

4.0 1 0.5
Parks, Beaches, Nature Preserves
Great for gentle bike riding
(Updated: October 25, 2021)
Rating

Route 66 State Park is more developed than other parks that I've been to in this area. Most of the park is located on the north side of I-44 but we entered from a point on the south side of I-44 (heading east) for which we used exit 265. On the south side of I-44 there is a parallel road heading east again into Route 66 State Park.

Along this park road on the south side of I-44, there is a nicely developed boat access point and ramp on the Meramec River including paved parking and a restroom facility. Nearby was a short macadam road and parking for equestrian activities. These are both located on the south side of I-44.

On the far east end of that park road it turns north and goes under I-44 and what looks like a former rail bridge. That takes you to the north part of Route 66 State Park where the bulk of the park land exists.

The main part of Route 66 State Park is quite flat in spite of the surrounding hill country. We found a very nice, flat, one-way, multi-use road for bikes, walkers, and automobiles (20 mph limit). We saw mostly bikers who could ride this leisurely loop ride through what looks like old farmland returning to prairie. We saw deer in the fields during our drive through. There were quite a few people biking and hiking during our weekday visit.

We didn't see a lot of places such as pavilions or picnic tables at which to linger in Route 66 State Park. We also missed the visitor center which we hope to check out the next time that we are in the area. But we enjoyed our short visit to the park and hope to return.

By the way, the park is gated and signage indicated that the park closes 1/2 hour after sunset.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0