Login or Join

Sign In or Join

Review Detail

5.0 1 0.5
Performance Art, Theatres
Outdoor Theater in Forest Park at the Muny
(Updated: October 25, 2021)
Rating

As a kid, I somewhat dreaded going to the "Muny Opera" as we called it back then. Its not because I didn't enjoy the performances (I did!). Its because my parents made us kids dress up in coats and ties to attend performances in the warm months of the summer theater season. But now things have changed a lot. People dress a lot more sensibly for St. Louis' warm summers.

I would say the general dress code is more like business casual or country club golf attire (nice shorts seem OK). But you will still often see people wearing comfortable evening wear in the more expensive seats. Now that its much more comfortable to attend, I find a visit to the Muny a delightful experience.

For 2012, here are performances scheduled:

Thoroughly Modern Millie
Chicago
Aladdin
Dreamgirls
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Pirates! (or Gilbert & Sullivan Plunder'd)
The King and I

Performances start at 8:15 PM as the evening is starting to cool off. You can enjoy a buffet dinner beforehand at the Culver Pavilion ($21.95 for adults or $10.50 for children aged 10 and under). Check their website for further details and for advance reservations which are required (seating is limited).

Although parking is free at the lots or on the streets nearby, one of the advantages of coming early for dinner is that you also get the best parking! There is also an area where many come early and bring picnic style dinners outside of the theater itself. Close parking makes it easy to return your cooler and anything else to your car before the show as well as in order to make a fast getaway at the end of the show.

If you enjoy the theater and have never experienced it at an outdoor venue, it can indeed be a fantastic experience (assuming no summer rain shower is scheduled simultaneously). The Muny is located in beautiful Forest Park. So check it out!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0